Assistant Professor in METU (Middle East Technical University) Physics Department, Ankara, Turkey.
Cataclysmic Variables in general. In Particular, classical novae and X-ray binaries.
Her research fields are Novae (all classes, ie., Recurrent Novae, Dwarf Novae), Super Soft X-ray sources, X-ray Emission from Cataclysmic Variables and stars in general. She is also interested in reasearch on LMXB, HMXB and Supernova Remnants. In general, she works on X-rays, but also do research in optical wavelengths.
Research Experience :
· Research Assistant, 1994-1996 at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, USA.
· Detailed knowledge of X-ray satellites & telescopes and ground based optical telescopes.
· Perform spatial, spectral, and timming analysis of X-ray data from ROSAT PSPC, HRI; ASCA, SIS, GIS; CHANDRA ACIS using basic software packages and own modeling techniques.
· Was a guest observer as a principal investigator in ROSAT AO6 mission.
· Also was a Co-Investigator in other ROSAT and ASCA missions.
· Was a guest observer as a principal investigator in CHANDRA AO1 mission and is a guest observer as a principal investigator in CHANDRA AO2.
· Have done observing runs with the WIYN Telescope CCD imager at Kitt Peak National Observatory, USA; have done several observing runs at the Tubitak National Observatory, Antalya, Turkey.
· Have an Observing Proposal on schedule (and renewed every season) 2001-2002 on Photometry and Imaging of Classical Novae in outburst at the Turkish National Observatory.
· Have reduced and analyzed optical CCD data (photometry and imaging).
· Competent in using basic software packages MIDAS, EXSAS, XSPEC, FTOOLS, XIMAGE,
XKRONOS, CIAO; competent in FORTRAN.
· Was a referee for Astrophysical Journal 2000-2001 (one paper).
Prof. Dr. Nuzhet Gokdogan Honor Award for High Achievemet in the Field of Astrophysics, Dec. 2001, Second Place in Turkey.
Middle East Technical University, High Performance Award covering 1999-2001 (three years), Jul. 2002.
Refereed Journal Articles
· "The Emission Nebula Associated with V1974 Cyg: a unique object ?", Casalegno, R., Orio, M., Mathis, J., Conselice, C., Gallagher, J., Balman, S., Della Valle, M., Homeimer, N., & Ogelman, H., 2000, A&A, 361, 725
· "The Reanalysis of the ROSAT Data of GQ Mus 1983 Using White Dwarf Atmosphere Emission Models", Balman, S. & Krautter, J., 2001, MNRAS, 326, 1441
· "CHANDRA Detection of 16 New X-ray Sources" Kupcu-Yoldas, A. & Balman S., 2002, A&A, 384, 190
· "The CHANDRA Observation of the First Resolved and Detected Classical Nova Shell in X-rays; Nova Persei 1901 (GK Per): A Miniature , Supernova Remnant", Balman, S. 2002, in preperation
· "The CHANDRA Data of the Classical Nova RR Pic (1925) and Evidence for the Second X-ray Bright Nova Remnant", Balman S. & Kupcu-Yoldas, A., 2002, in preperation
· "Spectroscopic and CCD Photometric Study for Detecting the Orbital Period of Dwarf Nova FO Per", Esenoglu, H., Bianchini, A., Saygac, A., Balman, S., Zangrilli, L., Claudi, R., & Guvener, T. , 2002, in preperation
Conference Proceedings :
· "The Chandra Observation of the Shell of Classical Nova Persei (1901): A Miniature Supernova Remnant", Balman, S. 2002, in X-rays at Sharp Focus: Chandra Science Symposium, ASP Conference Ser., Vol. 262, S. Vrtilek, & E. Schlegel (eds.), p. 253
· "Nova Persei (1901): A Miniature Supernova Remnant", Balman S. Balman, 2001, The Physics of Cataclysmic Variables and Related Objects ASP Conference Series, Vol. 261, 2002, B. T. Gansicke, K. Beuermann, K. Reinsch(eds), p.617.
· "Analysis of the ASCA Data of the Intermediate Polar YY Dra" Yazgan, E. & Balman S. 2001, in The Physics of Cataclysmic Variables and Related Objects ASP Conference Series, Vol. 261, 2002, B. T. Gansicke, K. Beuermann, K. Reinsch (eds), p. 177.
· "CHANDRA Detection of 16 New X-ray Sources" Kupcu-Yoldas, A. & Balman S., 2001, in The Physics of Cataclysmic Variables and Related Objects ASP Conference Series, Vol. 261, 2002,B. T. Gansicke, K. Beuermann, K. Reinsch (eds), p. 287.
· "On the X-ray Emission from Old Classical Nova Shells and the First Detected Remnant in the X-rays: The Shell of Nova Persei 1901", Balman, S. 2002, The Classical Nova Explosions, AIP Conference Series, Vol.XXX, 2002, Margarida Hernanz and Jordi Jose (eds), in press
· "Optik CCD Goruntuleme ve Temel Fotometri Teknikleri", Balman, S. 2000, XI. Ulusal Astronomi Toplantisi, A.U.F.F. Doner Sermaye Yayinlari, Vol. 61, ed. C. Aydin, S.O. Selam &E. Derman, s. 176