Head, Institute of Experimental Immunology, Department of Pathology,
University of Zurich, University Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland.
His observations in the area of T-lymphocyte biology have provided much of the foundation on which our current understanding of T-cell immunity is based.
intestinal immunity ; together with Peter Doherty, he discovered how immune T cells recognize virus-infected host cells. He also worked on the role of the thymus and the protective and pathological effects of immune T cells.
- 1981 Cloetta Stiftung, Zurich
- 1982 Jung Stiftung, Hamburg
- 1983 Paul Ehrlich Prize, Frankfurt
- 1985 Mack-Forster Prize, Europ Ass Clin Inv
- 1986 Gairdner Foundation International Award, Toronto
- 1987 Institute for Cancer Research, New York
- 1988 Louis Jeantet Foundation, Geneva
- 1988 Naegeli Stiftung, Zurich
- 1992 Christoforo Colombo Award, Genova
- 1995 The Albert Lasker Medical Research Award
The Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine 1996, with Peter C. Doherty, "for their discoveries concerning the specificity of the cell mediated immune defence".