Professor of Biological Chemistry, Professor of Medicine
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Baltimore, MD, USA
Current research in his laboratory is devoted to the structural and functional characterization of aquaporins from humans, bacteria, and yeast.
- 1970 : Augsburg College, B.A. with high honors, Kekule Prize, Chemistry Department
- 1974 : Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, M.D., Henry Strong Denison Research Scholarship
Young Investigator Day Research Award
- 1981-85 : Clinical Investigator Award, National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute
- 1986-88 : Basil O'Connor Award, March of Dimes Birth Defects Foundation
- 1987-92 : Established Investigator Award, American Heart Association
- 1989 : Elected to American Society for Clinical Investigation
- 1991 : Young Investigator Award, American Federation of Clinical Research, Eastern Section, New York NY
- 1994 : Inaugural Carl W. Gottschalk Distinguished Lectureship in Renal Physiology American
Physiological Society, Experimental Biology 94, Anaheim CA
4th Annual Thomas Maren Lectureship, Mt. Desert Island Biological Lab., ME
International Keynote Lecturer, Korean Physiological Society, Pusan, Korea
- 1995 : Distinguished Alumnus Award, Augsburg College, Minneapolis MN
- 1996 : 8th Annual Dale Blazey Memorial Lecture, Duke Univ. Medical Center, Durham NC
Dean's Lecture, Johns Hopkins Univ. School of Medicine
- 1997 : AOA Alumnus Award, Johns Hopkins Univ. School of Medicine
MERIT Award, NHLBI Blood Diseases
Karolinska Research Lecturer at Nobel Forum, Stockholm, Sweden
- 1998 : National Finalist, ASCI Award (American Society for Clinical Investigation), Wash. DC
- 1999 : Homer Smith Award, American Society of Nephrology, Miami FL
- 2000 : Ulf von Euler Lecture, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm Sweden
Elected to National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America
8th Annual Wm. B. Blythe Lecture in Nephrology, Univ. North Carolina, Chapel Hill
- 2001 : Journal of Physiology Lecture, 34th Congress IUPS (International Union of PhysiologicalSciences), Christchurch, New Zealand
Invited Lecturer, Nobel Jubilee Symposium "Beyond Genes," Nobel Prize Centennial 1901-2001 Karolinska Institute, Stockholm Sweden
- 2002 : Dean's Distinguished Seminar Speaker, Univ. Colorado Health Sci. Center, Denver CO
Aline U. and James M. Orten Memorial Lecture, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Wayne State Univ. School of Medicine, Detroit, MI
- 2003 : Lamport Memorial Lecture, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle WA
2003 Nobel Prize in Chemistry by the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences which recognized him for his laboratory's 1991 discovery of the long-sought "channels" that regulate and facilitate water molecule transport through cell membranes, a process essential to all living organisms.
Yasui M, Hazama A, Kwon TH, Nielsen S, Guggino WB, and Agre, P. (1999) Rapid gating and anion permeability of an intracellular aquaporin. Nature 402: 184-187.
Murata K, Mitsuoka K, Hirai T, Walz T, Agre, P., Heymann JB, Engel A, Fujiyoshi Y. (2000) Structural determinants of water permeation through Aquaporin-1. Nature 407: 599-605.
Tsubota K, Hirai SI, King LS, Agre, P., and Ishida N. (2001) Defective cellular trafficking of lacrimal gland aquaporin-5 in Sjögren's syndrome. The Lancet 357: 688-689.
King LS, Choi M , Fernandez PC, Cartron J-P., and Agre, P. (2001) Urinary concentrating defect in aquaporin-1 null individuals. N Engl J Med 345: 175-179.
Carbrey JM, Bonhivers M, Boeke JD, and Agre, P., (2001) Aquaporins in Saccharomyces: Characterization of a second functional water channel protein. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 98: 1000-1005.
Borgnia MJ and Agre P (2001). Reconstitution and functional comparison of purified GlpF and AqpZ, the glycerol and water channels from Escherichia coli. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 98: 288-2893.
King LS, Choi M , Fernandez PC, Cartron J-P., and Agre P (2001) Defective urinary concen-trating ability due to a complete deficiency of Aquaporin-1. N Engl J Med 345: 175-179.
Neely JD, Amiry-Moghadam M, Ottersen OP, Froehner SC, Agre P. and Adams ME. (2001). Syntrophin-dependent expression and localization of Aquaporin-4 water channel protein. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 98: 14108-14113.